This is a collection of articles, some in Adobe PDF format, relating to John Hampden, the Civil Wars, and the 17th century in general. The copyright to these documents resides with the John Hampden Society (except where otherwise stated) and may only be downloaded and printed for purposes of private study.
To download a free copy of Abobe Acrobat Reader, click here
- Professor Ian Beckett's illustrated talk at the Buckinghamshire County Museum, Aylesbury, on 6th July 2019.
- The text of John Hampden’s last will and testament. Pages 99 – 105 of the document. Click the link and […]
- The Battle of Chalgrove – Simon Marsh’s narrative An account by Simon Marsh of the Battle of Chalgrove drawing on […]
- Death of John Hampden by Professor John Adair An article by Hampden’s latest biographer into the controversial circumstances surrounding Hampden’s […]
- The Long Parliament and John Hampden by Dr Paul Hooper A much longer successor to Dr Hooper’s previous work, split […]
- John Hampden in the Short Parliament by Dr Paul Hooper An in-depth look at Hampden’s activities during the famous Short […]
- John Hampden – War Leader? by Jonathan Keen A scholarly assessment of Hampden’s role as a leader both political and […]
- Critical and Historical Essays No.1 – John Hampden by Thomas Babington Macaulay A link to Lord Macaulay’s article on John […]
- Shared Memory: John Hampden, New World and Old by Dr Maija Jansson Published in the December 2008 issue of The […]
- Hampden’s Disinterment An article in Chambers’ Book of Days about Lord Nugent’s supposed disinterment of Hampden’s body in 1828. Scroll […]
- The Life and death of John Hampden Junior by Roy Bailey A long-standing investigation by one of the Society’s […]
- Was Cromwell at the Battle of Aylesbury? by Bob Hammond An investigation by the Society’s former Vice-Chairman into some contradictory […]
- The First Green Jackets? by Roy Bailey An article tracing the history of the Royal Green Jackets (now a part […]
- John Hampden – The Rise From Obscurity 1594 – 1636 by Roy Bailey One of the four papers presented to […]
- The Downing Street Campaign A copy of the letter of 1st March 2000 from the Society to the Secretary of […]
- A History of Hampden House by Tim Oliver A history of John Hampden’s ancestral home by the present owner.
- Great Hampden Parish Register The complete transcription of the register of St Mary Magdalene Church, Great Hampden, by Derek Lester.
- A Ship Money protest A transcription of the protest by the people of Chesham against the Ship Money assessment in […]
- Visit to the home of John Hampden the Patriot A transcription of an article in the Monthly Record of the […]
- Charles I and his Parliaments: The Road to Civil War by Brian Cox A precis of an essay written by […]
- Philip, Lord Wharton by K.W. Wadsworth An article about a revolutionary aristocrat who married Arthur Goodwin’s daughter Jane. From the […]
- A circular five mile walk through beautiful countryside starting at the car park of the Hampden Arms at Great Hampden. The […]