The monument was unveiled on 19th June 1843 by George Grenville, Lord Nugent, Hampden’s first biographer. He obtained subscriptions for the monument from his friends, political allies and others with Hampden family connections. The land on which the monument stands was donated by the Reverend Dickson Hampden DD. Some contemporaries complained that the monument looked unfinished and in 1863 a capstone was added by George Hampden Cameron. The railings that surround the monument were probably erected at the same time.